E. Cobham Brewer 18101897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.
George Street (Strand, London)
commences the precinct of an ancient mansion which originally belonged to the bishops of Norwich. After passing successively into the possession of Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, the archbishops of York, and the Crown, it came to George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham. The second Duke of Buckingham pulled down the mansion and built the streets and alley called respectively George (street), Villiers (street), Duke (street), Of (alley), and Buckingham (street).