Rev. Alban Butler (171173). Volume VI: June. The Lives of the Saints. 1866.
St. Ilidius, Bishop and Confessor
ILLIDIUS, called in French Allyre, was the fourth bishop of Clermont in Auvergne, from St. Austremonius, and flourished in the fourth century. His great sanctity is extolled by St. Gregory of Tours. He died about the year 385, on the 5th of June, on which his festival is kept in his diocess and titular abbey, though his name occurs in the Roman Martyrology on the 7th July. His relics are kept with singular veneration in the ancient Benedictin abbey in the suburb of Clermont,1 which bears his name, is of the congregation of St. Maur, and enjoys the privilege of having a regular abbot. See St. Gregory of Tours, l. 1, c. 40; Branche, Vies des SS. dAuvergne, l. 2; Savaron, Origin. Clarom. &c.
Note 1. Only seven Benedictin abbeys of the congregation of St. Maur are allowed to have regular abbots, viz. St. Maur, or Glanfeuil, in Anjou, Chezal Benoit in the diocess of Bourges, St. Sulpiciuss at Bourges, St. Vincents at Mans, St. Martins at Seez, St. Austins at Limoges, and St. Allyres at Clermont. These abbots are elective and triennial. The other abbeys of this congregation are in the hands of commendatory abbots, and are governed by claustral priors. [back]